THIS IS WHAT WE LUTHERANS BELIEVE --
- We believe in the Holy Trinity - three persons, yet one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- "Baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of Holy Spirit." Matt. 28:19.
- We believe that God inspired men to write the Bible, so the Bible is His Holy Word. "Men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." 2 Peter 2:21.
- We are God's creation and He created us in His image with a free will: "So God created man in His own image." Gen. 1:27.
- Man exercised his free will and rebelled against God, resulting in sin. we face the consequences in that we are separated from God and we will some face death. "For the wages of sin is death." Rom. 5:23.
- However, God's love never fails. He provided a way to rescue all people from eternal damnation by sending His Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to die for us and rise again. When we trust in Him in faith, God will save us and take us to heaven: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
HOW CAN I BE ASSURED OF SALVATION?
This is how you can be assured of salvation. The Bible tells us: "Because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9.
Here's what you can ask yourself:
- Do I admit I'm a sinner and need God's saving grace and forgiveness?
- Do I acknowledge and believe in the salvation from sin which God freely gives me through the suffering, death and resurrection of His only Son, Jesus Christ?
- Do I repent of all my sins and am I assured that Jesus Christ will forgive all of my sins?
- Do I plan to try and follow Jesus with the help of the Holy Spirit? What would I especially like to do?
- Am I looking forward to being with Jesus in heaven along with the members of His Church?
You may want to pray the following prayer:
"Dear Heavenly Father I confess that I am a sinner in need of forgiveness and salvation. I sincerely believe that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and that He came to earth to suffer, die and rise again for the redemption of my soul. Therefore, I pray that You will forgive me of all of my sins, help me resist the devil and all of his ways, and when it is Your almighty will, take me to heaven to be with you forever. I sincerely ask this in Jesus name. Amen."
Come now and join us at St. James in prayer, praise and thanksgiving for the saving grace so freely given to us through His Son Jesus Christ!